Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Thinly Veiled Sentiments

... okay, moving away from something decidely less controversial than dead seals, I offer you the veiled women of Islam - or more specifically, popstar & "role model" Sami Yusuf's take on them. Because there's nothing that I love more than when men tell women how to feel. So here we go,

Free

What goes through your mind? As you sit there looking at me
Well I can tell from your looks
That you think I’m so oppressed
But I don’t need for you to liberate me

My head is not bare
And you can’t see my covered hair
So you sit there and you stare
And you judge me with your glare
You’re sure I’m in despair
But are you not aware
Under this scarf that I wear I have feelings, and I do care

CHORUS: So don’t you see?
That I’m truly free
This piece of scarf on me I wear so proudly
To preserve my dignity...

Open your eyes and see...
“Why can’t you just accept me?” she says
“Why can’t I just be me?” she says
Time and time again
You speak of democracy
Yet you rob me of my liberty
And all I want is equality
Why can’t you just let me be free?

For you I sing this song
My sister, may you always be strong
From you I’ve learnt so much
How you suffer so much
Yet you forgive those who laugh at you
You walk with no fear
Through the insults you hear
Your wish so sincere
That they’d understand you
But before you walk away

This time you turn and say:
But don’t you see? That I’m truly free
This piece of scarf on me I wear so proudly
To preserve my dignity
My modesty
My integrity
So let me be
She says with a smile I’m the one who’s free


Wow, I want to get me a veil now - I want to be free too! I can only hope that he'll pen a little ditty about the burqa next. Hope I can watch the video for it next time I'm at Pizza Hut in Agdal, where I go to watch scantily-clad Lebanese babes gyrate in a frenzy of oppression and indignity.


Sorry Sami, but until you can ovulate, I don't give a rat's ass what you think.

No comments: