Thursday, November 2, 2006

9 Weird Things About Me

I have been tagged by Liosliath over at Morocco Time with the following challenge: to list 9 weird things about myself. In public. For all to see (and mock). I first balked at the idea because 1) I don't think there's anything particularly weird about me and b) if I racked my brain long enough and actually came up with an oddity or two, would I want to share them with my readers?

So I peeked at the gabillion self-revelatory stroke-fests lists of other bloggers and couldn't help but notice that most of them didn't contain weird things at all, but were rather a list of the writer's 'amusing & interesting' experiences, or included such banal & mundane so-called eccentricities as "I drink milk out of the container". Well who doesn't? Now, I have engaged in my fair share of bizarre activities and had not a few curious incidents in my life, but I don't think that makes me - or contributes to my being - particularly weird. No, I must dig deeper or consult a more objective source.

So I asked Mr. Cat in Rabat, and much to my dismay delight, he spouted a disconcertingly lengthy list in no time at all. In fact, I believe his only regret in assisting me was limiting the entries to nine. So with no further ado ...

9 Weird Things About Me

  1. I am incredibly shy. Most people have trouble believing this. I don’t know why.
  1. When something really good happens to me, I don't tend to share it with people, except for Mr. Cat in Rabat but only because he had it written into our wedding vows.
  1. I can write (indeed I am remarkably dexterous) with my toes. Admittedly my "penmanship" was much better before my foot surgery. Please don't email me with requests for samples of my footnotes.
  1. I walk around town with dry cat food in my purse so I can feed the city's strays.
  1. I can’t be in a room where there is an open closet door. I have to close it.
  1. I liked the movie Ishtar.
  1. When I travel, I take a grey flannel stuffed teddy bear named Grey Bear (pictured above) so he might act as a surrogate in photographs. He is accommodating, decidedly unweird & very photogenic. By extension I would mention that while I enjoy taking photographs, I hate having my picture taken. Hence Mr. G. Bear.
  1. I can’t brush my teeth in the bathroom; instead, I wander nomadically throughout my home as I brush brush brush. I have no problems being stationary while I floss.
  1. I still haven’t figured out what I’m supposed to be in life. My father once told me that I was a late bloomer; I am still awaiting my bloom. My 2 fears are that it has passed me by undetected or that I will not recognize it when it comes. Or that it never will come. So 3 fears.
There. If I have missed anything, I'm sure that my friends and family will supply the missing neuroses without delay. So ridicule away. Have a field day.

I double tag Knarf and Byron in return.

No comments: