Tuesday, February 28, 2006

For the Love of his Nanny

Sudan Man Forced to 'Marry' Goat

Lest the link dies a horrible death, I quote the story in its entirety (pinched from BBC news):

A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his 'wife' after he was caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and took him to a council of elders. They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars ($50) to Mr Alifi. "We have given him the goat, and as far as we know they are still together," Mr Alifi said. Mr Alifi, Hai Malakal in Upper Nile State, told the Juba Post newspaper that he heard a loud noise around midnight on 13 February and immediately rushed outside to find Mr Tombe with his goat. "When I asked him: 'What are you doing there?', he fell off the back of the goat, so I captured and tied him up". Mr Alifi then called elders to decide how to deal with the case."They said I should not take him to the police, but rather let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife," Mr Alifi told the newspaper.

Personally, I think the goat should have retained the dowery, so she'll have something to fall back on in the event of a divorce. Who knows when some strumpet of a donkey will enter the picture? But I am pleased that she wasn't returned to her owner when it became apparent that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night. Islam is making some progress, I see. Hopefully it was a lovely ceremony - wonder what they served?

To quote Chandler Bing, "Too many jokes ...."

No comments: